The concept for the Coop was born out of the experience our founder has had hosting homeless people with MCS at her house near Syracuse, NY. The lack of options for these homeless people, as well as her own desire for a place to live out her elderly years in community, but with independence also, prompted our founder to form the group and search long and hard for a suitable housing site. We have finally found one! Bravo!
2014 We came together as a focus group and began to learn and explore programs and possiblites. We zeroed in on the cooperative model and found our mentor, Andy Richer of UHAB.
We found a nice 3 unit site in Tully, NY, but the sale fell through. We continue to look for an affordable site.
Jan 1st. 2015 We received our 501c status. We continued exploring funding solutions and asked the county housing authority to provide home ownership vouchers to disabled people on Section 8.
March 2016 Launched our website.
Happy Holiday Season from the Canary Housing Cooperative
The Board took a few minutes at the December Board Meeting to review the past year, and to thank our friends, well-wishers, and supporters. There were some very frustrating, and some very harry moments, but I hope you all feel the same pride the Board feels at this list of accomplishments. We hope you have a safe and warm winter – and we look forward to an astonishing 2018.
We managed a foreclosure/bankruptcy sale.
Acquired and took control of the Pompey site.
Cleaned out the basement and attic so they are ready for insulation.
Did about 2/3 of the demolition needed.
Maintained the property adequately. (lawn mowing and trips to dump)
Assessed the house’s structure and made a good strengthening plan.
Finished the space layout and the measured architectural drawings.
Worked with the town code and assessment officers to lower taxes and
get building permits and zoning for three apartments.
Worked out a plan for the water and electrical lines to the house.
Began finish work in the downstairs front apartment.
Took up floor in downstairs front apartment for the kitchen.
Found hardwood flooring, tile for all kitchen and baths, sinks, stoves, tubs and showers, doors, and one window.
Developed a window schedule plan.
Found contractors and got estimates for excavators, plumber, electrician,
and worked regularly with a carpenter.
Stepped up our administrative processes for the Board, for accounting, and insurance.
Stepped into phase II of cooperative development.
Going into the winter of 2017/2018 we have:
Applied for a small grant for better supports in the basement for February.
Begun to work on understanding contracts and their legal implications.
Begun to work on a Crowd Funding project with IndyGoGo.
We will finish the Business Plan and speak to Frank Cetera and the bank.
Start installing hardwood flooring in one upstairs bedroom.
Create hole in ceiling upstairs for access for cleaning in preparation for insulation.
Continue site management with snow plowing.
Continue to try to get analogue meters from National Grid.
Get an estimate for the heating system.
Continue framing walls for new space organization.
And if we are fortunate enough to receive the $1,500 Music for the Mission Grant we will dig the holes for new metal supports in the basement. This is a pretty great list of accomplishments for a scattered group of sick people. Thank you all for helping. (Note: with the $6,000 of donations received in December 2017 we will be able to continue work and accumulation of used and discounted building materials. Hooray!)